When you're wearing a mask and your Apple Watch, you can simply raise and glance at your iPhone to unlock it. Learn how to set up and use the feature.
What you need
Unlocking your iPhone with your Apple Watch requires these devices:
- An iPhone that uses Face ID (iPhone X or later) and has iOS 14.5 or later
- An Apple Watch Series 3 or later with watchOS 7.4 or later
How to set up Unlock with Apple Watch
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap Face ID & Passcode, then type your passcode.
- Scroll down to Unlock with Apple Watch, then turn on the feature next to your watch's name. If your watch doesn't have wrist detection enabled, you're asked to turn it on.
How to unlock your iPhone with your Apple Watch
- Make sure that you're wearing a mask and that your Apple Watch is on your wrist and unlocked.
- Wake your iPhone by raising it or tapping its screen.
- Glance at your iPhone to unlock it. Then you can slide up from the bottom of your iPhone screen to begin using it.
This new feature is part of the iOS 14.5 software update which allows users to securely unlock their iPhone when attempting to use Face ID while wearing a face mask.
Learn how to update your software to the latest iOS 14.5 here.